At 37628 Church Ave., First United Methodist is the oldest church on the street, with the sanctuary completed in July 1889 of heart pine and cypress. It originally sat at the northeast corner of the lot.

Electric lights were installed in 1910, and a year later, a brick sidewalk was built in front, the interior was painted and the vestibule was remodeled to have steps and doors on two sides instead of just in front. About this time, a bungalow was built for classrooms and social hall. It was later moved to the rear of the church lot.

A two-story education building was constructed in 1939. In 1954, the church sanctuary was moved to its present location where it abuts the northwest corner of the education building. A chapel and the southwest portion of the sanctuary were built at this time to join the two buildings.

Additional modifications included a new school building, remodeling the sanctuary and education building, construction of a parish hall, and rebuilding the exterior.

New stained glass windows were installed in 1975 in the original openings. The front portico on the sanctuary, the west wing and the entrance porch along the north side of the education building were added in 1987 to provide a more modern appearance.

The congregation remains proud of its heritage that dates to 1886 when church services were held in a store building that later served as the first Pasco County courthouse. Located on the southwest corner of the square where the Historic Pasco County Courthouse now stands, the building was owned by W.N. Ferguson, co- owner of Coleman and Ferguson Co. Coleman and Ferguson owned the building that they offered to the county for a courthouse when Pasco became a county in 1887. Ferguson was a church trustee, and his wife was the church’s first organist.

James E. Lee built the existing church on a quarter-acre purchased from Reuben Wilson in March 1888. Lee, originally from Georgia, had recently built the First Methodist Church in nearby Enterprise. Lee was a steward at the Dade City church.